Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays #7 - Spicy Black Beans

When I got home from work tonight I found a few ripe roma tomatoes on the vine in my garden and it was time to put them to use! This is a hearty meal idea that I like to prep for my lunch. It is full of protein and veg, the ingredients are easily found (and often in my pantry!) and it's easily paired with brown rice or stuffed into a tortilla wrap for a quick meal.


Ingredients round up: black beans, onions, tomatoes, cumin and chili powder. Olive oil, salt and pepper not shown.


To begin, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Use medium heat.


Chop up the onions and tomatoes.


When the oil is warm, add the onions and your spices. I use about a tablespoon of cumin and half a tablespoon of chili powder. If you like your food spicy, go ahead and dial up the heat with more chili powder or hot sauce. Let this cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft. You may have to add a little water to prevent it from getting dried out. A quarter cup should do it.


Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook this down for a few minutes.


While the tomato/onion mixture is cooking, you can wash your beans...


...and add them into the mix.


Stir it all up! Let this simmer for 5 minutes until it's heated through. That's it! I usually throw this over brown rice and add a tablespoon of plain fat free yogurt on top to keep it interesting.

Enjoy!
Rae xx

PS - In response to some email questions, I thought I would clarify that I am not vegetarian. I just happen to eat a lot of meat-free meals when I'm watching my fat and calorie count! I promise to include some more carnivorous recipes soon. ;)

14 comments:

  1. I AM a vegetarian. And while I actually don't eat any of the things in this recipe, I feel like it has to smell really good - and it looks really tasty!! Maybe it is time for me to branch out and try something new!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come over for dinner? You make it look so easy and yummy! Wait...maybe you can come here and cook for all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. .... wheres the meat?! And the cheese?! *faints* although that does look tasty... and I am not even a tomato fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum Yum! This one will be added to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rae! Great recipe! Thanks for posting it. I'll give it a try. I'm not vegetarian either but I'm not eating much meat these days and I love recipes like this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing! And all those onions--a girl after my own heart. You can never have too many onions! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm that looks tastey, although I AM allergic to tomatoe :( But I may try it without the tomatoes! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I want this for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how do you keep the beans from giving you gas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning!

    Be sure to visit my blog when you get a chance, I have something for you there.

    Living a Changed Life

    ReplyDelete