Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Last Sunday I ran into a friend I haven't seen in a long time. Lisa and I have been fantastic friends since we met on the first day of university almost 10 years ago. Over the years we've shared so many things: apartments, clothing, secrets, vacations...you get the idea. Lisa is one of those rare friends that just 'gets' me, and one that I have no problem picking up with right where we left off no matter how long we've been separated because of life getting in the way.
Did I mention that we first bonded over our mutual weight loss struggles? Of course, we were far from overweight at that time (and what we wouldn't give to have those 140 lb bodies now!!), but we went through many diets and detoxes in our day - not all of them healthy!
Anyways, like always, we've picked up right where we left off. It turns out Lisa has been trying to shed her post-baby weight and has been thinking about getting back into running.
Music to my ears! Long story short, I've found a running partner! We've already been out three times since Saturday and have committed to three days per week.
I love running with Lisa because...
1. SHE KEEPS ME ACCOUNTABLE We keep our promises and having that accountability has been amazing for me.
2. SHE UNDERSTANDS! We are both at similar fitness levels, so we are well-matched and have a good idea as to what our limits are.
3. SHE IS HILARIOUS which always makes it a FUN outing.
4. SHE STRETCHES and forces me to stretch with her. My muscles are thankful!
5. SHE IS FAST, YO! She is the hare to my tortoise. Definitely encourages me to pick up the pace while I encourage her to do 'just one more' interval. ;)
In addition to all this running, I managed to get in 9 holes of golf walking (45), 18 holes with a cart (101), and did a pretty intensive hike with the dog. I'm going to get back on the scale Friday morning, and I'm hoping all this exercise pays off BIG TIME!
Hope you're having an awesome week!